grub-devel

Re: [grub-devel] fatal error message on grub-install for i386-pc (x86-64

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: [grub-devel] fatal error message on grub-install for i386-pc (x86-64) with latest repo
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 06:22:01 +0400

В Sun, 15 Dec 2013 13:24:14 -0600
Javier Vasquez <address@hidden> пишет:

> Hi,
>
> With latest git repo, after compiling/installing:
>
> % sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/boot --recheck /dev/sdb
> FATAL: Error inserting efivars
> (/lib/modules/3.12.5/kernel/drivers/firmware/efi/efivars.ko): No such
> device
> Installation finished. No error reported.

The message comes from modprobe because platform is not EFI. grub tries
to load efivars exactly to verify whether we are on EFI or not. So
while it is harmless it is indeed not nice.

Hmm ... I'm not sure we really need it at all (in
grub_install_get_default_x86_platform). Directory /sys/firmware/efi is
not created by module efivars and we check whether this directory
exists. I think it can safely be removed.