grub-devel

Re: Behaviour if GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK is unset?

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Behaviour if GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK is unset?
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 14:49:45 +0100

On 07.12.2013 14:27, Colin Watson wrote:
> I've never totally understood why GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK is optional to
> begin with; it seems like a bit of a "do you want things to work? [y/N]"
> option to me.  My preferred approach would be to delete the option.
Cryptodisk support is allowed to ask user for password which is not
possible for unattended systems.
E.g. in old config GRUB was looking for unifont under /usr/share. If you
make cryptodisk default a server doing this would stop in password
prompt rather than skipping unifont and going to text mode and
continuing booting.