grub-devel

Re: d74b9a1 breaks ARM build (gcc 4.6)

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: d74b9a1 breaks ARM build (gcc 4.6)
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 20:18:10 +0100

On 02.12.2013 19:30, Leif Lindholm wrote:
> Commit d74b9a1, "Ensure that -mno-unaligned-access or some equivalent
> option is used.", breaks the configure step on my Debian Jessie, with
> a default 4.6.4 toolchain:
> "configure: error: couldnt instruct compiler not to use unaligned access"
>
> Where -mno-unalignes-access is not supported by gcc, it does not
> generate unaligned instructions. Was this inserted for llvm? If so, what
> was the fault this was fixing?

The reason to force to have some version of this argument is following
excerpt from gcc manual:
" By default unaligned access is disabled for all pre-ARMv6 and all
ARMv6-M architectures, and enabled for all other architectures."
Clearly not what we want.
Perhaps we should instead check that __ARM_FEATURE_UNALIGNED is not defined.