grub-devel

Re: Install_c merge intention

From: Jonathan McCune
Subject: Re: Install_c merge intention
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 11:09:21 -0800

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 4:51 AM, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello, all. install_c is feature complete and I intent to make it
upstream unless issues are raised until 16 Nov. It's available under
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/log/?h=phcoder/install_c

I just realized that the option --grub-mkimage is now accepted silently without having any effect in util/grub-install-common.c:grub_install_parse(). This makes it no longer feasible to easily wrap the mkimage command.  While most of the meaningful reasons to wrap grub-mkimage have now been added to grub-install, I've run into something I'm struggling to work around:  How do I add custom contents to a load.cfg, since util/grub-install.c seems to unconditionally grub_util_unlink(load_cfg)?

As a second concern, I think it is more appropriate that passing --grub-mkimage to grub-install is now an error. Existing scripts that use that argument presumably do so for a reason, and it has taken me longer than I would have liked to invest to root cause why my wrapper was not being invoked.  I'll follow up with a (tiny) patch.

Thanks,
-Jon