grub-devel

Re: PATCH: added GRUB command to get and set (U)EFI firmware variables

From: SevenBits
Subject: Re: PATCH: added GRUB command to get and set (U)EFI firmware variables
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 10:33:30 -0500

On Wednesday, November 27, 2013, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
On 27.11.2013 19:57, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> В Wed, 27 Nov 2013 13:44:41 -0500
> SevenBits <address@hidden> пишет:

>>> I'd include a command to list variables (interactively). We would
>>> pretty quickly collect most common UUIDs this way.
>
>> So, I've got a command written to print out the system's firmware
>> variables. Trouble is I'm not sure what the best way would be to print
>> or otherwise display the UUIDs gathered so that we can collect them.
>

> I think it is rather premature at this point.
Agreed. I wasn't clear enough that I meant that in the first
implementation we need to put just few UUIDs we already know about as
aliases and expand them with the time.

Okay, sounds okay to me. I'll be occupied because of the holidays here in the United States but I can get on it as soon as I can.

> What is needed first is
> sane framework for handling EFI variables, which means - handling GUID,
> options (during set or as filter in listing variables) and conversion of
> arbitrary binary data from/to external printable representation.

I think I get what you mean. I'll focus on this area then.

> Yes, please. Adding aliases for GUID can always come later and is not
> really that important.

Alright. Any specific ideas of where I should put the code? In with the other UEFI handling stuff or in the code for the module I'm writing?