grub-devel

Re: Configure grub for pxe boot and nfs-mounted root

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Configure grub for pxe boot and nfs-mounted root
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 11:10:01 +0100

On 26.11.2013 11:01, Beeblebrox wrote:
> Since I got grub's pxe set to go, I have started to try the ideas & solutions.
> * Answer to my first question from previous post (I don't see a way
> where tftp-server would be able to serve-up the grub menu if it were
> in say /data/tftp path?): This seems not possible. TFTPD cannot chroot
> (-s) unless the folder structure is inside the jail. Setting to
> different NFS path gives "folder not found" error from tftpd. (posted
> for informational purposes)
This doesn't seem to be a GRUB problem at all. I use tftpd which serves
from /var/tftpd
> * grub-mknetdir creates 700 permission folder structure. It needs to
> be changed to 755 in order for tftpd to serve "core.0" (744 is
> insufficient).
I'll think how to handle it sanely. Only mknetdir needs this change
> * grub-mknetdir folder is /data/amd64//boot/grub. I created a grub.cfg
> under there AND under i386-pc. The client shows "welcome to grub"
> message, then falls to "file not found". Was I supposed to pass the
> grub.cfg location when I ran grub-mknetdir?
boot/grub ($prefix) is where grub.cfg goes. Judging from your first
question, is it possible you serve from a different folder than you
think you do?
> * Which insmod need for NFS exported folders? There's no nfs*.mod?
You're right there isn't any. Right now we have only tftp and http.
Patches are welcome
> * Since I have 3 separate NFS exports which grub will choose from on
> the menu, is it possible to create a "device.map" file with something
> like:
> (hd0,0) 192.168.2.1:/data/amd64
> (hd0,1) 192.168.2.1:/data/i386
> (hd0,2) 192.168.2.1:/data/isos
> That way, I could do and change  set root='hd0,1 or 2 or 3' for each
> menu entry? Or is the device.map deprecated?

No device.map is not for this at all. For once it's not used by runtime
at all.