grub-devel

Re: grub2 boot root-on-zfs errors

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: grub2 boot root-on-zfs errors
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 23:12:32 +0100

paste your grub.cfg to give context

On Nov 25, 2013 12:09 PM, "Beeblebrox" <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello.
I have built and installed Grub from trunk (lbeit without docs and
efiemu, which I don't need). I have also installed the boot code and
have booted from grub. Here are my results:
* grub-probe correctly identifies partitions as ZFS.
* grub-mkconfig correctly generates a config file and has the correct
path, insmod code for zfs-booting.
* grub-mkconfig does not detect an ubuntu linux (btrfs) install on separate HDD.
* At boot time, grub menu comes up, and starts to boot normally into
the ZFS pool. However boot stops at mounting root because "no such
file system", and BTX (the FreeBSD loader) is very unresponsive. This
is probably because I have newcons installed as patch in
FreeBSD-current (11).
* Modified grub.cfg to include menu item having "kfreebsd
//@/boot/loader" for chain-loading into BTX. Chain-load method
successfully boots into zfs-based root and mounts all FS. Difference
between direct-boot and chainload seems to be access to zpool.cache,
which is actually different and maybe even a little buggy at this date
in 11 (I had some problems with automatically bringing up non-root
zpools and had to make some modifications in order to get it working)

Advise if any other info is required.
Thanks and Regards.