grub-devel

Re: How important is the MBR partition offset of grub-mkrescue ?

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: How important is the MBR partition offset of grub-mkrescue ?
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 16:48:24 +0100

On 03.11.2013 16:21, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Isn't this HFS+ catalog sufficient for the problem at hand?
>
> I see the misleading link to /dev/sdb1 with Debian 6
> and with a Debian 7 based distro. Dunno which udev rule
> first looks at /dev/sdb for an ISO PVD and then links
> ./by-label to the first partition of that device.
>
> The filesystem itself is not necessarily mounted.
> Actually, the /dev/sdb1 with start at LBA 1 cannot be mounted.
> Neither as ISO nor as HFS+ (if that was present). An offset
> of 512 bytes would spoil any address that works in an ISO image.

If GPT is present it takes precedence over MBR contents. And GPT would
point nicely to HFS+

>> Can we detect presence of this bug?
>
> It is a bug of the perceiving system. Linux specific. Lifetime
> at least for Debian 6 and 7, i'd say.
>
> Put a grub-mkrescue generated ISO on a USB stick (e.g. /dev/sdb),
> replug, and see what your Linux has in /dev/disk/by-label.
> (If it has such a directory, at all.)

So it's bug in Debian, not in xorriso?

>> Additional problem you don't mention: consumption of space by additional
>> headers. We use xorriso for making floppies as well (and it works).
>
> The feature is easy to add by user arguments of grub-mkrescue
> anyway. No need for action inside grub-mkrescue.
> I am mainly fishing for experience with pure GRUB2 boot setups
> and Linux. Most distros let BIOS boot ISOLINUX.
>
> Is there a distro which produces its ISO images with grub-mkrescue
> and uses all or most of the BIOS, UEFI, and Apple features ?
>
> As soon as i have a working ISO image, i can play with it.
> I never learned to build operating systems or boot loaders myself.
> It would be helpful to have a copy of the grub-mkrescue script
> which was used for image production. I understand it evolves.

It's in our git repo in util/ . There are 2 versions currently: sh one
and C one. It wasn't decided yet as to whether we'll switch to C one.
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/tree/util?h=phcoder/install_c
grub-mkrescue.in is sh one and grub-mkrescue.c is C one.

>> Another solution is to have a hybrid ISO + FAT or ISO + HFS+ + FAT layouts.
>
> But will this help against udev madness ?

FAT would make it look like most common USB stick.