grub-devel

Re: How important is the MBR partition offset of grub-mkrescue ?

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: How important is the MBR partition offset of grub-mkrescue ?
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 00:42:54 +0100

Hello, Thomas. Noce to hear from you.
> How important ist the partition start at LBA 1 in comparison
> to this obvious drawback of grub-mkrescue images on Linux ?
> (Start at LBA 0 solves the problem but makes the MBR part
> of the first partition. I understand this is undesirable
> somehow.)
LBA 0 is not an option. It will make hang, at least some versions OVMF,
quite possibly other firmwares as well. Nowadays what we have between 1
(inclusive) and isofs headers is all generated by xorriso (except on
sparc where we supply LBA 1)
It's possible to use another small value other than >1 in order to make
a set of headers at another position pointing to the same data.

Another workaround is to mount HFS+ filesystem which is already in a
partition (GPT one).