grub-devel

Re: [grub-devel] loongson-2f mini-pc (fuloong) elf image generation.

From: Javier Vasquez
Subject: Re: [grub-devel] loongson-2f mini-pc (fuloong) elf image generation.
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 14:19:07 -0600

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Aleš Nesrsta <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dne 27.10.2013 19:33, Javier Vasquez napsal(a):
>
>> OK, I'll re-dump removing such call, :-)
>
> Hi Javier,
>
> maybe it is not necessary - at least with your current configuration.
> Why:
>
> 1.
> This:
>
> "...
> bus/usb/ehci.c:1772: detect_dev: EHCI STATUS: 0000c004
>
> bus/usb/ehci.c:1774: detect_dev: iobase=0xb4073010, port=0, status=0x1403
>
> bus/usb/ehci.c:1772: detect_dev: EHCI STATUS: 0000c004
>
> bus/usb/ehci.c:1774: detect_dev: iobase=0xb4073010, port=1, status=0x1403
> ..."
>
> does mean:
>
> On EHCI ports 0 and 1 are connected Low speed devices.
> EHCI cannot handle Low and Full speed devices on root ports (by design) - it
> have to be done by companion controller(s), i.e. by OHCI or UHCI (or via
> USB2 hub...).
> In your case it should be OHCI.
>

> 2.
> I don't see loading of OHCI module in debug output !
> Do you really have this module included in your image?
>

> I recommend to check and regenerate your GRUB image to be able to load OHCI
> module.
> And possibly change order of loading of USB modules - load EHCI as first and
> OHCI as second module. (It is not critical but little bit more effective.)
>
> Then try if USB keyboard will work. If not, send new full debug output.
>
> BR,
> Ales

Well, going back to some old e-mails I sent, I'm using the ELF image
generated by grub-install, since when generating it by hand with
grub-mkimage it doesn't even offer the menu, and it does offer the
prompt, but still with NO keyboard.

On the other hand, I believe as part of prior experiments I've already
tried loading ohci after ehci, and that didn't make any difference...

Can you please make a suggestion on how to generate the ELF image?
Notice I included ohci on the prior mkimage attempts, and that didn't
make the keyboard work...

Quoting past e-mail:

+++++++++
I just used:

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
make
sudo make install

After installing I removed old grub generated stuff, and ran:

sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/boot --target=mipsel-loongson
--recheck /dev/sda

That automatically generate a /boot/grub.elf image.  Then after
editing /etc/default/grub I ran:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

So far so good...  I already have as a /boot/boot.cfg menu entry, one
dedicated to use the grub elf image:

title   Boot with GNU GRUB2
        kernel  (wd0,0)/grub.elf
        args    console=tty no_auto_cmd

When rebooting, and selecting to use the grub.elf image, I get the
grub menu, and apparently it works, cause after the timeout expires it
selects the first grub menu entry, and everything works.  However a
bad thing is that the usb keyboard does not work on the grub menu.

I then tried to manually generate a grub.elf image by running:

sudo grub-mkimage -O mipsel-fuloong-elf -o /boot/grub.elf linux ata
usb_keyboard ohci part_msdos ext2 xfs part_gpt ls halt reboot usbms
usb gzio search lspci help ahci blocklist date elf pata configfile
echo

And the grub.elf generated got worse, cause not only I still didn't
get the usb keyboard to work, but the menu was not loaded, the only
thing available was the grub prompt, which is useless without
keyboard, :-)

I also tried:

sudo grub-mkimage -O mipsel-fuloong-elf -o /boot/grub.elf linux ata
usb_keyboard ohci part_msdos ext2 xfs part_gpt ls halt reboot usbms
gzio search lspci help ahci blocklist date elf pata configfile echo

But that didn't make any difference.
+++++++++

Thanks,

--