grub-devel

Re: EFI and multiboot2 devlopment work for Xen

From: Woodhouse, David
Subject: Re: EFI and multiboot2 devlopment work for Xen
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 14:18:52 +0000

> I wonder why Linux can't make the EFI calls to fetch them itself?

It can. It does. It prefers to. This is what the "EFI boot stub" is all about.
But grub2 is crack-inspired and likes to do all kinds of crap that it
shouldn't. It is an exercise in complexity for complexity's sake. The
'linuxefi' method is actually not really Linux-specific; it just boots an EFI
executable (which the bzImage *is* when compiled that way).

Seriously, forget bootloaders (especially grub2) and make it a COFF/PE
executable.  Then everything should just work, including Secure Boot etc.

And bootloaders can still load that, of course.

--
dwmw2
(Apologies for HTML and top-posting; Android mailer is broken.)