grub-devel

Re: booting btrfs

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: booting btrfs
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 06:50:45 +0400

В Mon, 14 Oct 2013 14:20:14 -0600
Chris Murphy <address@hidden> пишет:

> > Is there a way to detect that mountinfo gives garbage and somehow get
> > where the real root points?
>
> I don't know. I've asked on address@hidden Instead of rebooting, I merely
> tried mounting without options after changing the default subvolume to a
> nested subvolume (one attempt subvolume in a subvolume, another a subvolume
> in a directory): in both cases /proc/self/mountinfo reports / as the root,
> not the full path or ID of the subvolume actually mounted.
>
> Somehow it seems like the mountinfo root field should return a block device
> and full path to the mounted subvolume or its ID. Currently it seems like a
> problem.

To quote one of btrfs developer (I had unrelated discussion on openSUSE
list):

--><--
This is a known problem, on my todo list, with a few non-working
solutions.

If you mount via subvol=/subvol then /proc/self/mountinfo will show
'subvol' as the mounted subvolume (4th column)

4 19 0:17 /subvol /mnt/ rw,relatime - btrfs /dev/sda15 rw,space_cache

but if the subvolume is set-default and then implicitly mounted,
mountinfo will not show that (that's the bug).
--><--

That said, information can be obtained also using different means
(btrfs utility or directly btrfs IOCTL). The question is to which
extent we want to depend on existence of btrfsprogs.