grub-devel

Re: booting btrfs

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: booting btrfs
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 15:55:01 -0600

On Oct 15, 2013, at 10:58 AM, Andrey Borzenkov <address@hidden> wrote:

> I do not know whether it was the case in the past, but today there is
> *no* difference between using absolute or relative form.

OK so it's confirmed that with kernel 3.2 the subvol= behavior changed from
relative to set-default subvolume to always being absolute whether it starts
with / or not.

And subvolume set-default is intended to affect the mount command absent usage
of subvol option.

So the change needed for GRUB is it should ignore the set-default and always
treat prefix paths as absolute starting from top level 5 subvolume. That makes
things more clear and less complicated and also won't break bootability if the
user wants to e.g. always mount their current home subvolume by default, then
nothing else is affected.

Chris Murphy