grub-devel

[RFC] grub-install C rewrite

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: [RFC] grub-install C rewrite
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 15:08:54 +0200

Hello, all. Recently I made some order in hostdisk.c and getroot.c
involving splitting in OS-specific parts.
In the same time I added WinAPI version of getroot/hostdisk allowing
grub-probe to work on windows natively
Also on-going is AROS-specific parts.
Windows and AROS are not friendly with bash.
The attempt to make both multiple files of same type work and handling
whitespaces/newlines/... in filenames would result in very ugly code
with loads of evals.
Current code may have subtle assumptions on behaviour of common tools
like sed and on locale (E.g. "[a-z]" doesn't cover u if locale is Estonian).
So to check viability I rewrote grub-install in C. This is mostly proof
of concept with loads of FIXMEs but I could boot i386-pc install made
with it. In many aspects (static variables, some tests, general
structure) it's reminiscent of sh version of grub-install it's based on.
Some functionality is likely to stay OS-specific, e.g. executing
compressors or determining firmware.

I'd like to know the opinion of other people on possible switchover. If
switched then it'll have to be all grub-install, grub-mkrescue,
grub-mknetdir and grub-mkstandalone.
I'd like to hear from other people.