grub-devel

Re: grub2 boot root-on-zfs errors

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: grub2 boot root-on-zfs errors
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 12:06:09 +0400

В Wed, 25 Sep 2013 09:58:47 +0300
Beeblebrox <address@hidden> пишет:

> @Andrey:
> >> Should not it be (hd0,gpt2)/bsds@/boot/kernel/kernel
> Tried that also, same error
>
> @Vladimir:
> >> Please reread what Andrey said. poolname is not part of the path.
> Somehow, I missed Andrey's answer...
> I don't understand however, how "poolname is not part of path". If we
> have tank0 as pool and root as dataset, (tank0/root) then from what
> Andrey has written, entry should be:
> (hd0,gpt2)/root@/boot/kernel/kernel ?

I'm not sure now. Could you try

(hd0,gpt2)tank0/root@/boot/kernel/kernel

? I will update documentation then.

> or is it (hd0,gpt2)/@root/boot/kernel/kernel ?
> whereas if there is no separate root dataset and root resides directly
> on tank0 dataset, entry becomes:
> (hd0,gpt2)/@/boot/kernel/kernel ?

Actually I start to suspect that the correct name would be

(hd0,gpt2)tank0@/boot/kernel/kernel

Looking at code it does not strip initial slash and it is not part
of dataset name ...

> >> grub 2.00 is not enough for version 5000. You need current trunk
> In order to correctly install a binary in FreeBSD, I must first create
> a custom port and a Makefile for it. To do so, I need the source code
> to be in tar.bz format. Is there a tar format available, or should I
> checkout http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/grub/trunk/grub and tar the
> result?

I usually do

./autogen.sh
./configure
make dist-bz

configure options do not matter as make dist is supposed to produce
exactly the same result on every platform. If you find some missing
files, please report.