grub-devel

grub2 boot root-on-zfs errors

From: Beeblebrox
Subject: grub2 boot root-on-zfs errors
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 21:59:00 +0300

>>  This doesn't demonstrate anything else than that you didn't use tools
correctly. It's:  grub-probe -d /dev/ada0p2

Thank you very much - I ran the command you instructed and see that
the FS is identified correctly.
$ grub-probe -d /dev/ada0p2
zfs

I cannot, however, boot from grub directly into zfs-root. After the
grub menu comes up, and I fall to command-prompt, listing the drives
shows no ZFS paths and the various menu variations I have tried do not
work.

Unfortunately, there is not much accurate documentation for
FreeBSD+ZFS+grub, and the linux solutions to the problem do not work
for FreeBSD.

The main problem form the grub loader / command line, is that I cannot
get any code loaded which is located on a ZPOOL:

menuentry 'FreeBSD-ZFS' {
    insmod zfs
    set root='hd0,gpt2'
    kfreebsd /boot/loader      }

Fails because grub cannot find bootloader and gives "no such file" error.
Please let me know what ıther info I can provide to debug the problem.