grub-devel

Re: USB 1.0/1.1 devices on modern machines with only EHCI/XHCI.

From: Aleš Nesrsta
Subject: Re: USB 1.0/1.1 devices on modern machines with only EHCI/XHCI.
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 01:17:11 +0200

Hi,
what do you mean exactly by "GRUB does not detect this device"?
1) Do you mean it is not listed by "usb" command?
2) Or do you mean it is not listed by "ls" command as disk?

In the case 2) it is most probably caused by this: Such device is not mass storage class device. I.e., it probably needs some additional special driver.
You can check this by lsusb -v
Mass storage device should have something like this (important are values in last three rows):
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk-Only

I have Dell Latitude E6500 - there is also smart card reader (connected directly to UHCI controller) and its interface descriptor unfortunately looks like this:
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           3
      bInterfaceClass       254 Application Specific Interface
      bInterfaceSubClass      0
      bInterfaceProtocol      0

Additionally - this smart card reader device is (AFAIK) also usually not recognized by BIOS (it is not possible to boot from this device - at least on my notebook).

BR,
Ales