grub-devel

Re: GRUB_CRYPTODISK_ENABLE undocumented

From: Michael Chang
Subject: Re: GRUB_CRYPTODISK_ENABLE undocumented
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 15:37:53 +0800

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 04:51:00PM +0200, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
wrote:
> On 28.08.2013 09:05, Michael Chang wrote:
> > Hi Andrey,
> >
> > 2013/3/29 Andrey Borzenkov <address@hidden>:
> >> Is it intentional? I hit it when testing grub on encrypted partition.
> >> When no, I'll submit a patch.
> >
> > Do you have any progress on this? Besides document it, IMHO why not we
> > consider to remove it or make it default enable to receive more
> > testing from downstream ? Is there any consequence to enable it or
> > because it's not officially supported yet?
> >
> This option authorizes GRUB to ask user for password and wait until the
> password is supplied which can break unattended and remote boot. Think
> of theme in /usr. With the option disabled GRUB would simply skip theme
> and boot successfully. But with this option enabled it will wait for
> password until user supplies it or presses ESC.

In this case we shouldn't blame GRUB to interrupt the boot, instead
it's why the policy been made to place theme file in /usr (which's
supposed be encrypted) and expecting it to work on unattended or
remote boot.

As long as GRUB offers the option to on or off it (OK we don't remove
it as we know it's required now), it's the system setup program's
responsibity to make sure that the correct option is set for his setup
to work as intended. I do really hope that the default can be changed
for the reason that I have supplied.

Thanks,
Michael