grub-devel

RE: Missing USB devices.

From: Melki Christian (consultant)
Subject: RE: Missing USB devices.
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 07:22:59 +0000

> > Hi.
> >
> > I'm running trunk version 5079 on a rather normal PC. EHCI + UHCI
> controller.
>
> Did it work in earlier versions?

I made a rather big jump...
from a backported usb stack on 1.99 to trunk. :(
Anyway, I solved both my problems.
I solved them both with letting devices settle before using them.
Don't know why, and I don't like the solution either (letting devices settle
that is...)
The keyboard seems just to take a while to get identified properly.
So I do a sleep interruptible to drive the getkey -> usb_poll and let the
devices get detected.

If I just do:

insmod ehci
insmod uhci
insmod usb_keyboard

<use getkey here in some program>

things just break... and I get stalls forever from grub when it is trying to
talk to the keyboard.

If I insert a sleep -i  5 before using it and look at the debug from the
keyboards I can see that
the keyboards get initialized (takes a while) and then it is perfectly fine to
use it.

This is ugly, I don't like it and there is atleast one bug or an archtectural
problem somewhere.
Btw, normal sleep should do the same as interruptible?
Just do the same and throw away the getkey result.
I don't get why they are assymetrical? There is no halt or powersaving anyway.
Normal sleep just stops processing anything since grub is driven from the term
layer.
That's just annoying.