grub-devel

Re: Some questions about GRUB

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Some questions about GRUB
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 18:20:46 +0200

On 24.07.2013 15:56, Stojsavljevic, Zoran wrote:
Spasibo/Thank you, Andrey,

I understand. I am not able to set VGA mode somehow on Coreboot. I got the file
core.elf after doing grub-install command (in /boot/grub/i386-coreboot/
directory), so I am using this file as a payload to Coreboot (have no idea if
this is the correct approach)!?

You shouldn't use grub-install with coreboot. Here is my command:
pkgdatadir=. ./grub-mkstandalone --grub-mkimage=./grub-mkimage -O i386-coreboot -o ~/x201coreboot/coreboot/payload.elf --modules='ahci ehci usbms part_msdos ext2 fat at_keyboard part_gpt usbserial_usbdebug cbfs' --install-modules='ls linux search configfile normal cbtime cbls memrw iorw minicmd lsmmap lspci halt reboot hexdump pcidump setpci lsacpi boottime chain' --fonts= --themes= --locales= -d grub-core/ boot/grub/grub.cfg

To be run from your compile directory. You may need ohci/uhci modules, pata or appropriate filesystems.
What I have on my /etc/default/grub file is the following:
GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND="serial --unit=0 --speed=115200"
GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT="console serial"
GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console serial vga_text"

There is no "console" on coreboot. Only vga_text for output and at_keyboard/usb_keyboard for input. Most likely you don't have appropriate modules in core.img for your install (I'm not sure it adds *hci/pata modules on coreboot the way it should)
Still not able to bring it to grub> prompt... Neither on serial console. :(

I have yet another question to all of you: Have anybody of you tried booting
Win7 or Win8 using Coreboot or U-Boot?

You need to use either SeaBIOS or EFI for this. I launch seabios from GRUB. In my GRUB menu I have a choice between loading Linux or FreeBSD directly or go through SeaBIOS which allows i.a. go to windows (7 or 8 would both work this way).
I have also other entries like OFW but their usefulness is limited.