grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Moving from Bazaar (bzr) to git

From: Bruce Dubbs
Subject: Re: [RFC] Moving from Bazaar (bzr) to git
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 16:52:04 -0500

Paul Menzel wrote:
Dear GRUB folks,

this is *not* the start of a flame war about what VCS is the best.

Hopefully everyone will agree, that git is the most popular one in the
FOSS world (Linux, freedesktop.org, GNOME, KDE, …) and a lot of people
are now familiar with the basic git commands. So using Bazaar is one
more thing to deal with for new contributors before making a
contribution to GRUB. (I know there is git-bzr-ng, but it is still one
more step.)

Talking to Vladimir and Colin in #grub, they did not oppose a migration
to git and Vladimir asked me to bring it up on the list.

Personally, I prefer subversion, but I'm not a GRUB developer. The choice of version control can be similar emacs/vi or Bourne Shell/C Shell, so it really should be the choice of the primary developers.

Using Google for 'git vs subversion' provides a lot of interesting opinions.

  -- Bruce