grub-devel

Re: ARM branch

From: Leif Lindholm
Subject: Re: ARM branch
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 10:08:27 +0000

On Fri, May 03, 2013 at 02:34:11PM +0200, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
wrote:
> > It does also revert the removal of uboot_get_real_bss_start, since
> > this causes GRUB to fail even reaching "Welcome to GRUB!" on my
> > Trimslice. It may not be the best solution, but it is in there for a
> > reason.
>
> Why was this revert necessary? The C code and asm code seem to mirror
> each other

The diference is in the assigning of grub_modbase, which ends up pointing
at an unaligned address, since __bss_start is not pointing to the first
variable allocated in BSS, but at the byte immediately following the
preceding segment.
Since the preceding segment is the license one, containing only strings,
that segment may end on any alignment - and currently my build includes
license statements in the kernel, since (for example) term/terminfo.c
has a GRUB_MOD_LICENSE unconditionally included, even when built into
the kernel.

I should however simply have moved this assignment into startup.S.
Patch attached.

/
    Leif