grub-devel

Re: GRUB and the risk of block list corruption in extX

From: Martin Wilck
Subject: Re: GRUB and the risk of block list corruption in extX
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 09:47:31 +0100

Chris,

> Effectively you're asking for indefinitely supporting GRUB 0.9, by requiring
> other dependencies so that can happen.

The only other dependency I am asking for is the ability for the distro
boot loader to be installed in the root or boot partition. That's not much.

The biggest argument for Fedora not being able to do this has been the
claimed danger of block list corruption. I started this thread in order
to clarify what this warning about fragility actually means, and what
the actual risk scenario is.

That's the only aspect of this discussion that is worth bothering the
GRUB developers with. The validity of my use case should be discussed
elsewhere.

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Wilck
PRIMERGY System Software Engineer

FUJITSU
Fujitsu Technology Solutions GmbH
Heinz-Nixdorf-Ring 1
33106 Paderborn, Germany
Phone:                  ++49 5251 525 2796
Fax:                    ++49 5251 525 2820
Email:                  address@hidden
Internet:               http://ts.fujitsu.com
Company Details:        http://ts.fujitsu.com/imprint