grub-devel

Re: Console Resolution with GRUB2

From: Pete Appleton
Subject: Re: Console Resolution with GRUB2
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 22:44:10 +0000

Hi,

Please excuse the personal reply, which is purely an attempt to help, and off-list because I think the questions you're asking aren't appropriate for the development mailing list but are really user questions. I'd like to apply the following disclaimers and then supply the knowledge I posess:

1. I am not affiliated with, or a developer for, GRUB2 in any sense - just somebody who happens to subscribe to the grub-devel mailing list 2. I don't use Ubuntu regularly, but do have a couple of machines running v12.04 that I've used as a testbed
3.  I'm quite drunk at the moment

That said, this email is really offered in "good faith" because I've read the Vinux site and respect what you're doing, and would like to help if possible!!

The potentially useful information follows:

1. /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/unifont.pcf.gz is owned by the package "xfonts-unifont". 2. Installing this package did not allow the command 'grub-mkfont -s24 -o unicode.pf2 /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/unifont.pcf.gz' to succeed; this still failed with the error you reported. I believe that this is because the PCF font in xfonts-unicode is a bitmap font (i.e. fixed size), whereas you need a vector flavour to be able to generate the GRUB version

You may wish to try the following (I emphasize that I have not done so, and am purely guessing as to whether it might help):

1.  sudo apt-get install ttf-unifont
2. sudo grub-mkfont -s24 -o /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 /usr/share/fonts/truetype/unifont/unifont.ttf ;#Works On My Machine

Theoretically, this will install the TTF version of GNU unifont and generate a "size 24" GRUB fontfile in the correct location - exactly what the GRUB size means is not documented, I'm afraid.

If this is of any help, it would be appreciated if you'd let me know that it was useful; if not, then I apologise for wasting your time.

Regards,

Pete Appleton [who is a professional programmer, FWIW]

grub-mkfont -s 24 -o unicode.pf2 /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/