grub-devel

Re: SCO Unix

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: SCO Unix
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 15:22:26 -0700

On Jan 25, 2013, at 3:08 PM, Lennart Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 03:06:32PM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> Fedora 15 and older, is GRUB 0.9x, and the grub.conf was manually produced
>> except for the Fedora entries (initially anaconda, and then after that for
>> kernel updates, grubby).
>>
>> Fedora 16 and newer, it's GRUB 2, and anaconda calls grub-mkconfig to
>> produce the initial grub.cfg, and uses grubby to add entries for kernel
>> updates.
>>
>> So actually I don't understand the question because Fedora itself would not
>> ever have detected another OS. Either it's manually added to grub.conf in
>> the old days, or it's autodetected (or not autodetected) by os-prober via
>> grub-mkconfig on more recent Fedoras.
>
> I suspect your theory is even better than mine was.

I vaguely recall that Fedora 16 DVD upgrades and preupgrade did step on the old
GRUB and replaced it with a new one, and called grub-mkconfig to make a
grub.cfg. So I'm going to guess that's what's happened. And the OP thinks GRUB
detects installed systems dynamically rather than depending on a premade
configuration file.

Chris Murphy