grub-devel

Re: Does plain pc console support UNICODE?

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Does plain pc console support UNICODE?
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 23:40:15 +0100

On 04.10.2012 19:09, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:

> I have default language Russian. When testing patch I switched from
> gfxterm to plain console and got '????' instead of grub messages. Is it
> supposed to work at all? If not, does it make sense to temporary reset
> language when we switch to terminal that is known to not support
> UNICODE?

Normal BIOS console supports only CP437. The fix for this would go through:
1) Possible use of vga_text instead of BIOS services and enhance it with
font-loading code to dynamically load characters we need. But this is
already more than just a simple console and requires to load e.g.
unifont. Currently BIOS services and vga_text are used for their
simplicity and compactness. Perhaps vga_text would need to be split to
vga_text and vga_text_font the latter being a separate module and
vga_text calling vga_text_font only if it's loaded.
2) Another possibility is to translate the unrepresentable characters to
their nearest ASCII equivalent. The problem is that this is somewhat
language-dependent. E.g. a German-speaking person would replace ö with
oe but a Finnish would probably just drop the diaresis.