grub-devel

Multi-boot multiple Windows O/Ses and Linux

From: Randy Decker
Subject: Multi-boot multiple Windows O/Ses and Linux
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 20:19:37 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

With MS support for XP ending 8Apr2014 I am considering upgrading my software
configuration.  I
currently multiboot Windows XP and Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS (GNU/Linux
3.2.0-35-generic i686) with GRUB
1.99-21 ubuntu 3.7 updated automatically by ubuntu's update manager.  At one
point my hardware
passed MS's test for windows 7 so I believe that is an option.

I want to retain XP so I don't need to repurchase all the old software that
currently works fine
and because I have hardware that requires the game port interface that MS chose
not to support in
newer software.

I am very happy with Ubuntu and find myself using it by preference when I can.
I'm not sure
where I placed my XP install disk after I mis-applied GRUB and overwrote the
MBR (back when I
think Ubuntu 9.04 was current). I would like to avoid that problem in the
future.  Perhaps I
could dd the 440 or 512 bytes of the MBR for insurance just in case.

My hardware is a generic PC with an AMD Duron and 2 GB of RAM. XP is on a
master IDE drive. A
SATA drive has three primary (MSDOS) partitions containing another XP "drive",
Ubuntu, and
linux-swap.  Until recently these 3 partitions resided on the slave IDE
interface but gparted was
kind enough to move them all to a bigger newer SATA drive.  The old drive is
now retired.

I know grub is great at multiple O/Ses but windows is anti-social toward other
O/Ses.  My
questions are:
1 Can grub2 handle both XP and 7 in one configuration along with Linux?
2 If so, can it still be compatible with Ubuntu's update manager?
3 How would one approach the reconfiguration?
4 Will 4 partitions be sufficient?
5 Will GRUB want a partition?
6 What would I need to be careful to avoid?

I would expect to buy 7 to install on the SATA drive.  I'm not sure how to
install 7 without
corrupting the MBR for XP.  I didn't put the linux and linux-swap partitions in
an extended
partition on the SATA drive as they were on the IDE drive. I hadn't figured out
yet how to create the extended partition in gparted and I still had a spare.  I
expect if I needed more than 4 partitions I
could copy the two linux partitions to a USB drive and back to an extended
partition.

I have enjoyed reading your advice.  Thanks for any illumination you can
provide.  I copied the To: line,  I hope I have it right.  I ensured this is
plain Text.

Randy