grub-devel

bootable RAID, number of member disks limitation

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: bootable RAID, number of member disks limitation
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 13:28:52 -0700

I'm finding GRUB2 will boot from md RAID 0, 1, 4, 5, 6, with /boot in the
array, up to six member devices. At device 7, GRUB2 fails to boot the array,
drops to a grub rescue prompt saying the mduuid couldn't be found.

With Btrfs single and RAID 0 profiles, /boot on Btrfs is bootable for up to 4
devices. At the 5th device in a volume, it's no longer bootable by GRUB2, I get
a grub rescue prompt. I get variable results with RAID 10 for some reason where
often it works with 5 and 6 disks.

The question is if this is expected, as-designed, and if it's stable? I feel
like some subjective (certainly objective limits are OK) limit for number of
member devices is acceptable, but needs to be known, so that installers can
inhibit or warn users from creating unbootable arrays. And then how to
communicate this downstream?

Chris Murphy