grub-devel

Number shortcuts in boot menu?

From: Petteri Pasila
Subject: Number shortcuts in boot menu?
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 17:36:02 +0300

Hey,

Just came to my mind the other day and it doesn't seem like this has already been suggested/rejected at some point.

So if your example menu looked something like this (the first one obviously being the active one) and your task at hand was to start up Windows for some stupid stupidity that you required it for:

 => (1) Arch GNU/Linux, with Linux core repo kernel <=
      (2) Arch GNU/Linux, with Linux core repo kernel (Fallback initramfs)
      (3) Random OS
      (4) Another kernel for the random OS
      (5) Some memtest86+
      (6) Some other memtest86+
      (7) Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda2)

...then wouldn't it be brilliant to just type the number [7] to accomplish this instead of having to move the selection aaaaall the way to the end with the arrow keys and then like _all_ of that gruesomeness wasn't enough you're even asked to move one of your fingers to press the [Enter] key that's like *miles* away from the arrows your fingers just arrived at? (Sure you can just press the right arrow but let's pretend we didn't know about that, k?) You have to ask yourselves: how dare you do something like this?

TORTURE IS A CRIME.

                                    Petteri and his imagination!