grub-devel

GRUB port for ARMv7-A U-Boot

From: Leif Lindholm
Subject: GRUB port for ARMv7-A U-Boot
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 19:47:35 +0100

I have created a port of GRUB to the ARMv7-A architecture, running on top of
the
U-Boot firmware. The "U-Boot API", created by Rafal Jaworowsky
<address@hidden>, provides the hardware abstraction layer. Console is
supported on serial port using the termios subsystem.

This port supports, and indeed relies on, flattened device trees (FDT) -
passed on from firmware, or loaded from a filesystem. My implementation uses
libfdt rather than trying to recycle the existing openfirmware code, and if
possible I would like to keep it that way, and have libfdt included in GRUB.

libfdt is dual-licensed, GPLv2+/BSD, and the copyright belongs to David
Gibson <address@hidden>. I have a patch against the libfdt included in
http://jdl.com/software/dtc-v1.3.0.tgz that makes it build under GRUB.

The U-Boot API is released under GPLv2+ consists of 3 source files. They are
licensed under GPLv2+. The port also contains a crc32 checker I included
from the FreeBSD loader, copyright Gary S. Brown with the statement that
"You may use this program, or code or tables extracted from it, as desired
without restriction.". The crc32 checker is not strictly speaking required,
so could be removed if this poses any problems.

In addition to this, the port includes libgcc helper functions (aeabi_*)
taken from linux/arch/arm/lib, licensed under GPLv2+.

My intent is to set up a public repository on launchpad.net containing my
modifications on Monday. Do you have any opinions about how I should treat
the third-party software when I do this?

Regards,

Leif