grub-devel

Re: GRUB for ARM based devices

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: GRUB for ARM based devices
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 14:40:34 -0400

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 07:33:26PM +0100, Adam Hunston wrote:
> Hello fellow developers,
>
> Am looking to compile a version of grub to work on ARM based devices, e.g.
> the tablet world, is anybody interested in joining me on this, or have any
> ideas for starting..? I am thinking probably looking at the legacy
> bootloaders is probably a good start...
>
> Kind regards, Adam

Does the arm device you have in mind have firmware seperate from the
boot loader?  For most devices (The Loongson MIPS devices being one
of the few exceptions) grub expects the firmware to provide hardware
initialization and device enumeration.

uboot and redboot on the other hand tend to handle all the hardware
initialization and device detection and are both the firmware and the
boot loader in one.

grub on some of those Loongson devices is also the firmware though.
grub is mainly a boot loader only though.

--
Len Sorensen