grub-devel

Re: grub-mkconfig locale vs. boot-time grub locale

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: grub-mkconfig locale vs. boot-time grub locale
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:21:46 +0200

On 15.09.2012 19:38, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:

> В Сб., 15/09/2012 в 17:48 +0200, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
> пишет:
>> On 15.09.2012 16:03, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
>>
>>> Currently grub-mkconfig is using current (at the time of invocation)
>>> locale to
>>>
>>> 1. output status messages during invocation
>>> 2. put translated messages (verbatim) into generated grub.cfg
>>> 3. set language in grub.cfg (set lang)
>>>
>>> The problem is, user locale at the time of invocation does not
>>> necessarily correspond to default system locale. This becomes even more
>>> extreme as SSH and su/sudo often pass through locale environment
>>> variables by default; so user locale may be inherited from unpredictable
>>> value set on remote system.
>>>
>>> Now imagine Chinese customer support employee remotely invoking
>>> grub-mkconfig for European customer ...
>>>
>>> It seems that case 1 and 2/3 should be treated differently. Suggestion
>>> is
>>>
>>> - export GRUB_LANG in grub-mkconfig for use in /etc/grub.d scripts.
>>> GRUB_LANG is supposed to be set to system wide default. This may be set
>>> by distributions in /etc/default/grub when system locale is changed or
>>> determined dynamically from existing configuration.
>>>
>>> - provide convenience wrapper for scripts in /etc/grub.d which basically
>>> does LC_MESSAGES=$GRUB_LANG gettext ...
>>>
>>> Does it sound sensible?
>>>

>> Just set LC_ALL/LC_MESSAGES in /etc/default/grub. I don't see a reason
>> to have a separate variable for this in etc/default/grub if you can just
>> set standard ones there.
>>

> The primary reason to separate them is to let grub-mkconfig to emit
> messages in user's native locale. Which is not necessarily the one set
> as default.

Currently GRUB has no way of having separate locale for a part of it. It
would need additional work since currently some parts of text are
translated at grub-mkconfig time. I'm not sure how necessary it is to
have more fine-grained model.