grub-devel

Grub with LUKS support: Passing a reference to the decrypted filesystem

From: Steve R
Subject: Grub with LUKS support: Passing a reference to the decrypted filesystem to the "linux" command
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 19:34:52 -0700

Hi,

Haven't heard back any suggestions on how to work my way around this problem. Hoping the changed subject line is more specific as to the problem I am running into and would attract some more eyeballs to help me figure this one out.

To recap,
I am trying to use Grub 2.00 (with Luks support enabled) to boot a Debian-live system from an encrypted LUKS partition. /boot is also located in the encrypted Partition. I am using grub.cfg like below, and things work fine (With Grub requesting a password for the encrypted file system and parsing grub.cfg, displaying the menu, etc.. The problem arises with the linux command to load the kernel. Loading the Debian-live based OS requires passing a reference to the file system hosting the file system, via the live-media kernel command-line parameter. I am passing this reference as /dev/disk/by-uuid/<uuid-of-the-decrypted-fs> . The UUID I am using is the one read by blkid when I mounted and decrypted this encrypted partition from another Linux host. However, this does not work and from the debugging output on the console, it appears to be because the path to the decrypted fs device is invalid. If I mount and decrypt the LUKS partition from a running Linux OS, this device is always created with the same UUID, so I expected this to happen when GRUB decrypts the LUKS partition. Turns out not to be the case.

Could someone please point me in the right direction or examples showing grub.cfg for fully encrypted Debian-live based systems (including /boot) ?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for any newbie questions. I am learning as I go.

Regards,
Steve.