grub-devel

Re: Grub-devel Digest, Vol 103, Issue 1

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: Grub-devel Digest, Vol 103, Issue 1
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 12:00:00 -0400

On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 09:29:12AM -0700, ivo welch wrote:
> as CD drives continue to to disappear from computers and as $5 USB drives
> move towards >16GB range, it would make sense for OS makers to adopt some
> standard that makes multiple ISO booting feasible and easy...even Windows.
>   grub probably does not have enough clout to convene this standard, even
> though most PC boot OS varieties by count use it.
>
> last thought: vmware can hide the hardware.  I wonder if a vmware like
> strategy could hide just the CD drive.

That's because vmware is a virtual machine that emulates hardware and
then boots the OS in the emulation.

So unless you want to write a hardware emulator and run all your OSs
inside it, then I don't see it helping.

And if you think Microsoft cares to help anyone put their OS on a USB
key along with anything else, then you are mistaken.  It is not in their
financial interest to make it easy for users to try other things.

--
Len Sorensen