grub-devel

Re: Question regarding numbering conventions

From: Arbiel Perlacremaz
Subject: Re: Question regarding numbering conventions
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 09:39:10 +0200

Hi

Personnaly, I'm using custom.cfg. This file is incorporated at the end of grub's menu generation and you can

either generate additionnal lines at the end of the standard menu
or generate a brand new menu in using the configmenu command.

I then added a folder in the /boot/grub folder to hold all my scripts, /boot/grub/greffons (this name stands for "addons" for english speaking people)

So my custom.cfg file reads :

source ${prefix}/greffons/shunt.menu.cfg
source ${prefix}/greffons/iso.menu.cfg
source ${prefix}/greffons/config.menu.cfg

shunt.menu.cfg is used to boot directly with my prefered distribution without menu or delay, or display the menu if I hold the control key down during the boot process iso.menu.cfg is used to boot from my iso files, preventing me from burning CDs config.menu.cfg is used to look for the various grub.cfg's and display a menu to allow me to boot from the one I want

The updating of custom.cfg is dynamic as you need not run grub-mkconfig to take the modifications into account.

Arbiel