grub-devel

RE: [bug #36532] boot in EFI mode (x86_64) fails on some systems

From: Stuart_Hayes
Subject: RE: [bug #36532] boot in EFI mode (x86_64) fails on some systems
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:39:35 -0500

> > > Vladimir,
> > >
> > > The 2.00rc1 version of grub2 still doesn't fix the efi memory map
> > buffer size I've been working on (though I can see you are now
> > allocating the efi memory map buffer very shortly before you are
> > calling grub_efi_finish_boot_services()).
> > >
> > > Increasing the mmap_size in find_efi_mmap_size()--as in the patch
> > immediately above this text--does fix the problem.  Even adding (2 <<
> > 12) (instead of (1 << 12)) to the mmap_size will work on the system
> I'm
> > testing with.
> > >

> > I've changed it to 3. Thanks. It's annoying that even such simple
> > operations as we have between find_efi_mmap and finish drastically
> > increase memory map size.
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
>
> Thanks!  I completely agree that it is annoying.

FYI, while grub-2.00 works on my system now, someone else here at Dell has
tested it and found that it still doesn't work.  (I verified that they were
indeed using version 2.00, and saw the error myself).

I have no idea how or why the memory map size is growing that much.  As I get
time, I'll try to figure that out...