grub-devel

RE: FW: grub-efi with latest mac mini

From: John Frankish
Subject: RE: FW: grub-efi with latest mac mini
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 11:16:04 +0000

I didn't try it again - I note that it did not create
/mnt/sda1/EFI/BOOT/grub/fonts, nor copy unicode.pf2 into /fonts

> >> But does it make videotest work?
> >
> > No, same thing - after <ctrl c> I get color 0, etc
> >

> Hm, sounds like there is a firmware bug in GOP. What a surprise.

insmod font
loadfont unicode
set debug=video
videotest
video/efi_gop.c 388: GOP: keeping mode 0
video/efi_gop.c 496: GOP: initializing FB @ 0x91000000 1280x1024x32
video/efi_gop.c 521: GOP: success
<ctrl c>
color 0...

> >> USB problem is on Linux side.
> >
> > A combination of rEFIt/grub classic on the 4th (ext3) partition boots the
> same vmlinuz/initrd without problems.
>
> You probably boot in BIOS mode with GRUB Legacy which results in
> completely different hardware init and presence of BIOS tables in
> 0xa0000-0x100000 range. This probably makes difference but the issue is
> either Linux or Apple hardware init.

I note the hd controller does not start in ahci mode with grub legacy, but
otherwise OK.

Should the fakebios command help with grub2-efi?