grub-devel

Some suggestions for improvements in GRUB

From: Karthik Krishna
Subject: Some suggestions for improvements in GRUB
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 00:19:01 +0530

Hi there,

I am an engineering student from India. I have been using Linux Distros for some time. With its varied uses i have come to like GRUB very much. But i wish to say that there are certain things that are not user friendly and needs a bit of change.

First of all, if a drive is deleted or edited using any partition manager, GRUB does not know anything about it. And so in the ensuing part of booting, it shows a boot error. i have been seeing this as my friends keep coming to me to "FIX" their boot. The problem lies in GRUB's steep learning curve in the  fixing department. when the grub error screen comes up, one has to come up with a plan to go to the internet and see the required grub error codes and relevant data to fix it. Thereby restoring grubs working.  But the thing is you need an another PC/laptop with a working internet to see the codes or relevant data. i have been doing this for some time. i see that people who wish to use Linux have a hard time using it fully, especially when it comes to its boot-loader.

The onset of boot-loader problems really bogs down the motivation to move forward.

So I wish to develop GRUB a bit so that it may be easy to use even in the case of error handling. I just dont know where to start. I know assembly, a bit of c and c++. I have heard of nasm and used gcc. So how do i develop it? I wanted to make a code that automatically detects partitions and checks it with a library of partitions to see if it has been changed or not. So that way the user is given the freedom of not doing anything rather letting GRUB doing the work for the user. i can develop the code using a simple algorithm. i want to make grub more smarter when it comes to handling errors and freeing the user.

Karthik Krishna