grub-devel

Improve support for genkernel in 10_linux

From: Mike Gilbert
Subject: Improve support for genkernel in 10_linux
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2012 17:54:54 -0400

Gentoo Linux maintains its own kernel builder and initramfs generation
utility called "genkernel".

It looks like some attempt was made to make 10_linux compatible with
initiramfs images created by genkernel. However, this support is
currently broken. There are two problems.

Firstly, genkernel initramfs images are named like so:

initramfs-genkernel-$ARCH-$version

10_linux currently looks for this:

initramfs-genkernel-$version

The simplest solution here would be to use a wildcard beteen genkernel
and $version.

Secondly, genkernel looks for the "real_root" kernel command line option
to determine the root filesystem. This is a holdover from the days when
we used true initrd images and we needed to use root=/dev/ram0.

I have attached a rough patch that resolves these issues. I would
appreciate any feedback you can give me. My goal is to move this
upstream so that I will not have to rebase it in the future.