grub-devel

Re: Mentor for gsoc for parted integration.

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Mentor for gsoc for parted integration.
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 19:51:09 +0200

On 06.04.2012 15:53, RAJIV KRISHNA OMAR wrote:
> Hi,
> I am interested in parted integration in grub and it is my proposal in
> gsoc.
This is an old idea which was formulated in times when parted
manipulated filesystems as well as partition tables and was never really
discussed whether it's useful or would qualify for SoC. With the POSIX
layer I wrote for brltty it will probably be relatively easy to compile
parted into a GRUB module.
Also any writing to disk has a danger of data loss, so we restrict the
writing to what makes sense to write on boot regularly. So we write only
to environment block and few specific msdos partition table
manipulations for the OS which make assumptions about partition map
layout which prevent multi-booting. I have never seen any OS which makes
any such assumptions on any other partition map.
The only reasons I see to write in any other way is to reorganise data
or to install a new OS. In most cases it makes more sense to integrate
parted into installer. In other cases it makes more sense to have a
small initramfs/mfsroot/ramdisk/... based OS bootable from GRUB and
working from RAM with a data-related set of tools including parted.
Also if you want to make any projects you have to prove that you're able
to succeed. The best way to prove it is to start with small
contributions and it will also help you familiraise with GRUB codebase.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko