grub-devel

Re: Grub version variable in shell

From: Andreas Vogel
Subject: Re: Grub version variable in shell
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 15:58:56 +0100

Am 11.03.2012 15:20, schrieb Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko:
> On 11.03.2012 15:17, Andreas Born wrote:
>> Yes, that would be fine with me too. I thought about that too, but
>> actually I didn't quite see the difference between this and
>> grub_version or grub_version_min.
>> Maybe there could be:
>> - feature_200_release: or whatever the version is if somebody
>> really only wants to test/support that one version
>> - feature_20x_release: or whatever appropriate for a series of
>> releases where it's possible to be backwards compatible
>>
> feature_*_release wouldn't be removed for the next release.
The feature_* variables are great. Anyway I support Andreas suggestion
having a GRUB version variable (like many other interpreters/shells are
using it, e.g. BASH, Perl, TCL).
BASH is using 2 variables for it: BASH_VERSION and BASH_VERSINFO. The
second one provides an easy way to get the version, sub-version, etc.
(and eliminates the problems with parsing Andreas was mentioning
before). GRUB could provide something similar, but that's just a thought
which came up right now.