grub-devel

Re: Grub version variable in shell

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Grub version variable in shell
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 03:51:13 +0100

On 11.03.2012 03:40, Andreas Born wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it would be great to have a variable like version or grub_version in
> the shell. Sorry, if there is already such an option and I didn't find
> it. But I only saw cpu and platform as well as the feature variables.
>
> This is useful, if you want to use some new feature or don't want to
> use some ugly workaround anymore, which you needed for an older version.
We don't use grub_version because it would give only very approximate
idea of features supported and so only marginally useful and is likely
to make devs use suboptimal method. Instead we define variables like
feature_foo. Good example is from root setting code:
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt10
--hint-efi=hd0,gpt10 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt10  UUID
else
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root UUID
fi