grub-devel

Re: grub-probe seems to be having problems

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: grub-probe seems to be having problems
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 15:37:57 -0500

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 01:39:46PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> No.  I did 'dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdd bs=512 count=1' to copy the
> partition table, then I did 'hdparm -z /dev/sdd' to reread the partition
> table.  I then did 'mdadm --add /dev/md1 /dev/sdd3' to add the final
> device to md1 so that it could get raid running fully (I created it with
> 2/3 devices in degraded mode).  For md0 I added a third raid1 device
> just to have all 3 disks able to serve as root even if a disk fails,
> and to ensure I could boot no matter what disk failed.
>
> For completeness sake I did actually add /dev/sdc which was an external
> USB drive to the raid5 (/dev/md1) first, just to keep the raid safe
> until the final internal drive arived.  I then added /dev/sdd3, which
> became a hot spare, and then marked sdc3 as faulty, which got the raid
> to resync onto the new drive.

Interestingly after poking at reading all the disks and poking mdadm
--examine and --detail, now grub-prob likes md1, but still dislikes md0.

address@hidden:/tmp# /usr/sbin/grub-probe --device-map= --target=abstraction
--device /dev/md1
diskfilter mdraid1x raid5rec
address@hidden:/tmp# /usr/sbin/grub-probe --device-map= --target=abstraction
--device /dev/md0
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: Couldn't find physical volume `(null)'. Check your
device.map.

md1 was failing before with the same grub code.

I don't get it.  I wonder if there is any known issues in 2.6.32 kernel
and/or mdadm - v3.1.4 - 31st August 2010

--
Len Sorensen