grub-devel

Re: Helping upgrading Grub2's documentation

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Helping upgrading Grub2's documentation
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 01:19:14 -0800

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Arbiel Perlacremaz
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I would be glad to help upgrade Grub2's documentation.

Firstly, thank you. Documentation is very important and any help you
can give will be greatly appreciated.

> 1) Where is the latest Grub manual ?

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html is an html version
of the manual and is generally kept fairly up to date. But the source
is a texinfo manual, http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/ , kept in
docs/grub.texi in the source tree. You can check out latest grub
source with "bzr branch
http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/grub/trunk/grub/";. You can also view the
file at
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/grub/grub2-bzr/view/head:/docs/grub.texi
but since you plan to contribute you'll want to become familiar with
bazaar.

> 2) What procedure is to be used to update it ?

You edit docs/grub.texi and submit a patch to this mailing list (with
your changes to docs/grub.texi and a new entry in Changelog). If
you're not familiar with the process of writing/submitting patches
feel free to ask more. There is also a developers manual at
docs/grub-dev.texi; It's aimed more at those wishing to contribute
code, but some of it applies to contributing documentation as well.

> 3) Is a complete list of commands available ?

Are you asking about userland utilities like grub-install or
grub-script commands like configfile?

For grub-script commands there is a partial list in the current
manual: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Commands

You can get a "full" list by running "pager=1; help" from the grub
shell. This is obviously not ideal, and will only include commands
available for the platform you're using, for instance grub-pc won't
include the "appleloader" command. Hopefully someone else can give you
a better list.

> 4) Is there a tool to test the commands ?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. "make check" does do automated
testing, but not all commands are tested in "make check".