grub-devel

Re: Ideas for the future

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Ideas for the future
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 02:40:57 +0100

On 05.03.2012 02:35, Samuel Thibault wrote:
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko, le Mon 05 Mar 2012 02:30:11 +0100, a
écrit :
6) menuentry --enabled 0|1
It's a good practice to show menuentries even if they are not applicable
in different situations (that's common for all major menu systems). If a
menu entry is disabled, it is shown but it is not operable. E.g. one
might have a general grub config file which supports booting a bunch of
ISO images. When an ISO image is not found and instead of not showing a
menuentry for that, those menuentry could be shown as disabled.
This seems like just cluttering the view. Remember that in some applications
(e.g. braille) menu has to be very concise. We support even the tiny (40x1)
terminal geometries.
Actually, 40x1 is relatively large for a braille device. A lot of them
are 20x1.
20x1 works as well. The bare minimum is 5x1 (we need 4 positions to indicate that there are more entries or more chars in the entry). For less than 20x1 4 special positions become wasteful and the code should probably check those explicitly.
Is less than 20x1 common?
Samuel