grub-devel

hey all

From: Chris C
Subject: hey all
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 14:16:52 +0000

Hi

I is new here and thought it would be a good idea to contribute to the
project seen as i been using grub for so long.

Not sure what the current status or idea is for setting the install
environment, eg qemu, multiboot, pc etc. There is lots of junk info
floating around the net concerning Bios GPT partitions. Some say the
bios ef02 partition needs be setup at sector 1 or it wont work, some
soy there should be a space around this partition. Others say that
gparted blats the gpt table so it wont work with bios gpt boot.

I have tested it on a 2tb drive in every way shape or form and as long
as the partition is made and set to ef02 grub works on it.

Major problem for grub >=V1.99 is setting the platform its to be
installed on. I dont think it can be done automatically. I set it as a
parameter, moded the grub2-install script and made it so i add
grub2-install --platform=pcgpt --no-floppy /dev/xxx

Not sure if thats the best way to do it. Unfortunately i only did it
for my platform so its the only option it works for, i was just
testing it really.

I see that grub2.0beta has the platform specified under the
transform="s,grub,grub2,"
so that sends my idea out the window lol.

There is no user output telling the user in anyway that there
installing in i386-qemu platform etc.

I find most aspect generally very stable indeed. Some very good work on
this version of grub. Good job