grub-devel

Re: [Q] Indentation rules for GRUB source code

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: [Q] Indentation rules for GRUB source code
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 13:25:41 +0100

On 01.03.2012 13:09, Andreas Vogel wrote:
I tried to find all relevant docs and read what I've found (e.g.
grub-dev.texi), so please excuse me if this questions has been already
answered somewhere.

I would like to change and submit code for GRUB and from what i see
right now indentation of the code doesn't seem to follow any rules. Most
of the time the visible indentation is 2 spaces which is either achieved
by using a TAB (which needs that the editor is configured to show TABs
as 2 spaces) or it's done by just using 2 spaces.
We use GNU identation as described in GCS (http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/) and as is the default in emacs and "indent" except some imported code which may follow other modes for practical reasons

Regarding to what code I've seen until now, the indentation of quite a
lot of code is messed up and makes reading more difficult.
Displays fine here in emacs
What are the preferred rules to follow when submitting changes or new
code regarding indentation?
Run indent on all new code.

BTW, it might be a good idea to propose the TAB setting configurations
for the most popular editors, e.g. I'm using vim right now.
it's the standard GNU one.
Andreas