grub-devel

Re: Freeze on 27 February

From: Richard Laager
Subject: Re: Freeze on 27 February
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 23:35:06 -0600

On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 17:12 +0100, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
wrote:
> @Richard Laager: Which of ZFS patches aren't committed yet? It's a bit
> tricky to see which ones were superseeded.

I've attached my current patch set. The patches apply in the order
listed. They're also roughly ordered by complexity, so I'd recommend
reviewing them in this order.

Also, if you have libzfs, a --disable-zfs or --without-zfs or similar
patch is necessary to ensure that the zpool and zfs commands are used
instead of libzfs.

---- Not ZFS Related:

Previously submitted, no feedback, trivial:
    grub-install-whitespace.patch

Not previously submitted, trivial:
    bzrignore-updates.patch

---- ZFS Related:

Previously submitted, no feedback:
    zfs-poolname-spaces.patch
    zfs-devices.patch

Not previously submitted:
    zfs-on-linux-rlaager8.patch
                With this, you should be able to boot with (native)
                ZFS-on-Linux, though you'll have to add whatever rpool
                specifiers (if any) required by your initrd.

    zfs-on-linux-rlaager9.patch
                Part of this is just to support ZFS roots
                (root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/ubuntu, for example).

                The other part may need more design work. It moves some
                of the btrfs code to inside linux_entry (and likewise,
                the ZFS support is added there). Right now, GRUB
                supports the concept of multiple kernels. I think that
                needs to be extended to multiple root filesystems (in
                practice: subvols in btrfs, clones in ZFS). This is the
                first step in that process. The missing part is looping
                over the additional root filesystems.

Even if we can't get the multiple root filesystems issue figured out,
I'd really love to see everything else make it into the release. It'd be
a huge step in the right direction for those of us working with native
ZFS-on-Linux.

--
Richard