grub-devel

Re: Various build failures in current bzr tree

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: Various build failures in current bzr tree
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 13:31:43 -0500

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 05:16:18PM +0100, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
wrote:
> This is not an error. (see other mail) install_device is only read
> from by firmware to locate the core.
> GRUB uses it only to infer root if $grub_device and $install_device
> refer to the same disk but $install_device isn't used otherwise by
> GRUB runtime.
> Please detail symptoms if any. If none, this is a non-issue.

How is grub supposed to know to embed part_msdos.mod if it doesn't
realize that to get to md0 it needs to read sda2/sdb2 which are using
dos partition tables?

Currently unless I tell it explicitly to include part_msdos, it only
boots to a rescue shell and sees only the raw disks, no partitions,
no raid, no filesystems, no nothing useful.

If grub_device is an md raid, then you don't know enough about the
partition table needed to read that raid.

It currectly includes the right raid modules (after fixing the raid
versus diskfilter string in one place), the right filesystem modules,
but it is missing the partition table support and hence can't get to
the other modules.

--
Len Sorensen