grub-devel

GRUB warning level increase

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: GRUB warning level increase
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 17:00:08 +0100

Hello, all. I have increased the warning level in GRUB. This is done for quicker discovery and correction of the bugs which would be otherwise hard to track. Mostly it enabled warnings regarding guidelines which are already followed by GRUB. Most important one is -Wcast-align. x86 doesn't enforce any alignment but the other platforms do. And since platform-independent code is usually written and tested on x86, it's important to ensure that it's properly aligned. The invariants checked by -Wcast-align give the necessary guarantee as long as void * isn't involved. Some code is difficult to write in a way to satisfy the warning and/or is platform-specific, in this case #pragma exceptions can be done. For imported code we can add -Wno-* to module cflags for less important (mostly stylistic) warnings.
Also if some warnings are too annoying we can drop them.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko